Next time you head to interview kick your nerves to the curb, and show your interviewer that you are comfortable and confident!
1. Listen to music – On the way to the interview, listen to whatever music you love to help to keep your mind distracted.
2. Choose the right drink – Avoid drinking too much caffeinated soda or coffee. Not only is coffee related breath not a great first impression, but too much caffeine and sugar can put your nerves even more on-edge. Try drinking an herbal tea with a mild dose of caffeine to soothe your mind and relax your muscles while increasing your alertness and concentration.
3. Touch up your face – Arrive at your interview early so you have time to run to the restroom. Don’t forget your makeup bag and blotting papers, especially if the weather is warm. Nothing will make you feel more relaxed and confident than a fresh, confident face.
4. BREATHE! – Try taking multiple slow, deep breaths. The increase in the flow of oxygen to your body and mind will help to calm your nerves and regulate your breathing.
5. Think about your evening plans – Life will go on after your interview is over, whether you think it went well or not. Instead of pounding your brain with potential interview scenarios, take time to focus on other (and more fun!) activities that you have planned for the rest of the day. This well help you gain perspective, and realize that although interviews are extremely important, life still goes on!
Amanda is a rising senior at Elon University and will be graduating in May 2012 with a degree in Marketing and a minor in Psychology. She loves working with NEXT and assisting women with becoming more confident in their careers!